Image By: Unsplash
Coconut oil is not just suitable for use in cooking but it is also a brilliant addition to your beauty cabinet. I have been doing some research on the beauty uses of coconut oil and have been pleasantly surprised by its benefits for hair and skin. The great thing about coconut oil is it is 100% natural and it is affordable so it won’t break the bank! Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but melts in your hands or can be heated in the microwave for 20 seconds before use.
Here is a list of my favourite uses of coconut oil:
- Deep conditioning hair mask: Applying the oil to the hair has been a beauty secret of Indian women for many generations. Myself as an Indian I was always encouraged growing up to apply it. I still use coconut oil as a hair treatment before washing my hair. Distribute the oil evenly throughout the hair and leave for at least 10 minutes before shampooing – or even better leave in overnight. The oil will add moisture and shine to you hair and helps prevent damage from washing.
- For dry skin: Coconut oil is great as an all round moisturiser for dry skin. This is because it contains Vitamin E and proteins which are essential for keeping skin healthy.
- Teeth whitening: Now this is a relatively new phenomenon. Coconut oil can whiten the teeth when the oil pulling method is used. Place a tablespoon of coconut oil in the mouth and allow to melt. Then swish the oil in the mouth back and forth. I have heard the recommended time is 20 minutes but I just don’t have the patience for that! So I usually swirl for 2-3 minutes. I only recently started using this method and I am already seeing a difference in the appearance of my teeth!
- Cuticles: Rubbing coconut oil into nails is moisturising and improves the appearance of cuticles. It removes hang nails and cures dry skin. It also aids in nail growth.
- Eye Cream: Coconut oil is known for its anti-aging properties. The skin under the eyes is delicate and prone to ageing more so than other parts of the face. Use as a substitute for eye creams by rubbing a pea size amount between the fingers and applying before bed.
- Make-up remover: This is preferred by many women over make-up removing products as it does not contain harsh chemicals. Rub the oil over the area you wish to remove the make-up. Then allow to sit for a couple of seconds. Remove with a make-up pad and then rinse your face with warm water.
- Body Scrub: Coconut oil is great for making DIY body scrubs. Mix one tablespoon of oil with an equal amount of sugar and your favourite essential oils for fragrance.
Now you know to think twice before buying expensive products. Your solution to your beauty problems could be coconut oil. It’s free from chemicals that you can’t pronounce and it’s affordable!